Monday, February 20, 2012

cake on the move

Baking for work often presents several traveling and serving dilemmas. When I find myself transporting a dozen or more cupcakes, I buy empty Crave Case boxes from White Castle for $5. They are the perfect size to hold fifteen cupcakes, the top is high enough to protect the frosting, and the boxes are durable enough to last many trips. I did not have time to buy any boxes today, so I decided to make cake jars using some small canning jars I had lying around.




I had strawberries left over from a weekend breakfast, so I sliced and layered them between two layers of semi-sweet chocolate frosting.




To turn a cupcake recipe into a simple cake jar, bake two 9" layers using your favorite cake recipe and slice off the tops to even the layers. Cut rounds of cake, the exact size of the jars, using a round cookie cutter or the rim of the jar.




Ease the cake into the bottom of the jar, spread a thin layer of chocolate frosting, and add a layer of strawberries.



Pipe a layer of chocolate frosting over the strawberries, screw on the top of the jar, and transport with ease!

No comments:

Post a Comment